Saturday, October 19, 2013

I got an "F" in Grad School

That's right. I got an F on a major paper. In my mathematics K-2 class, we are required to write a paper on "What mathematical knowledge should an elementary school teacher have to be effective"? My teacher was very vague on what she expected because she wanted it all to come from our minds. This paper was so stressful, that some of the students decided to drop from full time students to part time students. That is not an option for me. I'm determined to finish this degree in one year. My paper was actually very good. It included aspects of the curriculum, classroom management, diversity of cultures, problem solving, and assessments. The problem is that I don't have much experience in APA style so I lost a ton of points on my paper. I also didn't proof read as well as I thought I had, so there were mistakes I should have caught. In the end, we basically had two weeks to find five good quality resources and write a 12 page paper on a subject we knew nothing about. It was very hard. I ended up with 13 out of 20 points, a 65%.

Even worse, this is the first of many papers that will go into our teacher profile for the schools accreditation criteria and our professional profile. So it was a pretty important paper. Good news is that I get two weeks to revise and turn it back in to earn back half of the points that I missed.  Needless to say, I can still make a B on the paper. I can say that I have learned my lesson. I will be going to the writing center to learn as much as I can about APA style and rewriting and revising this paper as much as possible. My teacher seems to be an expert on APA style, literally. She has published many books and articles. It's very intimidating. I was discouraged, but I've recovered and I'm back on track.

Thanks for listening to my rant. Grad school is a lot harder than I imagined.

No comments:

Post a Comment