Friday, October 25, 2013

My First Teaching Experience

Today I taught in my field placement for the first time. My literacy lesson was from the Common Core Standard CCSS.ELA-Literacy.RI.1.1 Ask and answer questions about key details in a text. I read the book My Dog Never Says Please. It is about a girl who wishes she was a dog because her dog is never asked to have good manners. In the end she is allowed to sleep with the dog in the dog house and realizes it's not as fun as she thought it would be. I think overall I did a pretty good job considering how nervous I was. After reading the book, I asked the students questions about the specific manners that were mentioned in the book.

Overall this was a great experience. I was able to engage and connect with the children and the lesson went exactly as I wanted. Afterwards I had them to write a short story on which of the manners in the book was the most important and why. I hadn't predicted they they would all write about saying please (because it's the tile of the book). I think if i was actually going to use this lesson in the future, I would make a list on the board of the manners as they listed them for me after reading the book. This way they would actually be able to look on the board and choose a manner to write about. I did have a couple students write about other things and their writings were so cute. I loved it.

My cooperating teacher even commented that I was a natural and I had a natural connection with the children. I was very nervous and scared, but now I can't wait to teach my next lesson and become a real teacher in my own classroom.

No comments:

Post a Comment